Thursday, November 6, 2008

Wouldn't it be nice if we could teleport

I am having difficulty scheduling time to return home this Christmas, with work, school, writing my thesis, and other papers I am submitting for conferences and trying to stay in decent shape for next summers triathlon season. I may end up flying home for a weekend during Christmas, if I can find a flight.

Consequently, I began reflecting on teleportation and how simple this would make travel. (For a movie based example of teleportation see Jumper, not such a great movie, but the idea of teleporting is wonderfully portrayed) Think about it, if you could teleport, you could live anywhere. I could go home during the hoiliday season every night leading up to Christmas, and any other night. I could live on the Gold Coast of Australia and attend school/work in CT. This ability would instantly negate the need for any type of transportation, planes, cars, trains, buses, bikes, etc. Imagine the money saved from purchasing transportation in all its forms. Roads would become obsolete, as would airports, and train stations.

I will talk more about the science aspect of this next week, but would this ability be something beneficial to society? What would be some long term effects?

4 comments:

Knight of da plume said...

Oh I love the idea of teleporting, I hope it does materialize soon, but I doubt whether it will come real soon, we need more advanced science for such things. But it will certainly make transport more easier and ease some strain off our busy lives.

Cynthia and Joe said...

Atmospheric CO2 levels would decrease, global warming would decrease...more polar bears! ;D

the beginner said...

I would be thrilled at the idea of teleporting. I would not have to live in Hartford itself! I can stay in my tropical counrty, and be with my family and friends and not have to worry about snowy winters and spine chilling cold weather! :-D

Anonymous said...

Dane Cook made a joke about teleportation...check it out. No but seriously...do you think teleportation would be for free or would we have to pay a fee everytime we wanted to teleport? Or would this take jobs away from people. For example movers. If you can just teleport all of your things to wherever you are moving too who needs to higher a mover? I'm not sure if it would be beneficial or not...