Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Introduction

For my first post I thought I would introduce myself and mention the focus of this blog. As you can see from the blogs title, my name is Mike. I spent the first half of my life in Michigan and the second half in South Carolina. I love playing sports and try to learn a new one every two years. Last summer I began doing triathlons and have enjoyed competing with myself and others in this sport. Now that I am in New England, I would like to join a crew team. Other sports I would like to learn include surfing and kiteboarding.

I am currently attending the University of Hartford working on a Masters degree in communication. I am planning on graduating in May of 2009. Tentative, post graduate plans (for the moment) will be to continue my education by pursuing a PhD, also in communication. My career objective (again, for the moment) is to become a professor of communication. I want to teach public speaking and other communication courses. One area of research which has interest for me, is how people use technology to develop, enhance, and maintain their interpersonal, romantic and familial relationships. Also of interest are the underlying issues/ implications of our increasingly technology reliant society.

This semester I am taking a seminar in new media. One of the requirements for the class (and upon which I will be graded) is to set up a blog and submit a post each week, ideally about some aspect of technology. In essence this blog is a result of a class assignment, which is ok as I have been wanting to get into blogging for some time. So this class has given me the motivation I need to participate in this new media technology. In future posts I will discuss nanotechnology, text messaging, social networking, a brief history of the internet, and other topics that I feel are relevant to class topics and which have communicative implications.

No comments: