Thursday, September 18, 2008

What are your cell phone stats?

For the last week, I have been keeping track of everything I use my cell phone for. (See results below) If I am honest with myself, some of the uses surprised me. Specifically, how many text messages I sent and received. Text messages outnumber my calls over 3 to 1. Also, last week I used the traffic enabled GPS application on four separate occasions, traveling nearly 300 miles under the watchful eye of big brother. These were the items I utilized most during this last week. Other applications that I used on my cell phone included mobile web to check weather and search for theaters. Calculator, alarm clock, date book, pictures, video clips, and used it to check time.
Which brings me to the questions for you. First, what are your cell stats? Post a comment about the top three uses of your cell, and how many times you utilized each tool. Second, do you consider the cell phone the new “digital swiss army knife”? I am not sure who coined this phrase, but I like it and feel it is applicable to cell phones. If I can refer you back to my cell usage, I utilized ten different applications or tools (tool is more fitting for the knife comparison). I have other tools on my phone, I can check email, listen to mp3, download video clips and so on.
In Japan, they have been using cell phones to make purchases at stores and coffee shops. This is done using RFID technology. (More on this next week) I am interested to see where technology takes the cell phone, I like the idea of being able to buy things with my phone, but what are the privacy implications? What happens if my phone is stolen? Will the thief go on a shopping spree?

My cell stats (09/11/08-09/18/08)
Text messages total (75)
Phone calls total (22)
GPS usage total (295 miles)

4 comments:

Teddy said...

I use my cell phone as my only phone (besides work)- I do not have a landline phone at home. I also use it for texts (probably 20-30 a week), and also as an alarm clock every morning. I even use the calculator frequently, the Tip Calculator when I'm out to eat (HA), and the calendar when I have something personal scheduled. Great question!

Anonymous said...

Oooo I hate these questions that make me take a step back and see how much I rely on my phone...GRRR!! Okay but seriously I use my phone for texting, phone calls, check the time (I don't even own a watch), and alarm clock (don't own one of those either). And since we are being honest... according to my cell phone between Sunday and Monday I have sent out 47 texts and my inbox is full. Also, a fun fact, my brother never used text messaging. Recently he has become friends with one of my friends and because of that, he had to buy a new text messaging plan because the person constantly texts him and he feels obligated to text back. Crazy huh!?

Mike said...

Teddy, Mackenzie thanks for the comments! Mackenzie, your brother never used text messaging until recently? Wow!

Knight of da plume said...

Hmmm...that's something to think about. I don't use text messaging as often as you guys do, because I don't feel the need to. I call someone if it's necessary (most of my friends use AT&T like me, so it's free mobile to mobile), otherwise I just catch up on them on Facebook or Orkut. I use my phone for calls (5 to 6 per day) and it increases over weekends, alarm clock, to check time (I don't have a watch too Mackenzie!), calendar, calculator, sometimes to take pictures, sometimes to play games. I think that's about it, maybe if I get a better phone with better features then I will probably use it to check my mail and also for GPS.